Use these resources to find the text of specific ballot measures:
- San Francisco Ballot Measures Contains full text of City Ballot Propositions from 1907 to the present. Beware: the PDF files containing the full text are very large and may take a while to download.
- California Ballot Measures Contains full text of Statewide Ballot Propositions from 1996 to the present. Select a specific voter guide (month/year of election), then look for "Propositions" to find the various propositions voted on in that election. To view all California propositions from 1911 to the present, see the California Ballot Pamphlets collection from Hastings Law Library. Propositions are searchable on Google by entering your search terms followed by site:library.uchastings.edu/ballot_pdf
- Ballot Measures for Other States (from Project VoteSmart) Find summaries of ballot measures from any state. May also contain links to the full text.
To find newspaper and journal articles written about specific ballot measures try the following resources:
- LexisNexis Academic has the full text of over 5,000 news sources, such as national and regional newspapers, like The New York Times and The San Francisco Chronicle. Try limiting to the article type: Editorials & Opinions to find opinion pieces on your topic.
- CQ Researcher is a great resource for current political and social issues. Contains full text!
- Opposing Viewpoints is another good database for pro/con arguments on current political and social issues. Also contains reference and statistical information. Full text!
- Ethnic News Watch Contains full-text articles from over 230 local, national, and international sources.