Databases for Secondary Sources: Magazine and Journal Articles
Political Science Complete Citations and abstracts to political science literature.
HAPI Online Covers Central and South America, the Caribbean basin, the United States-Mexico border region, and Hispanics/Latinos in the United States. Contains citations to articles, book reviews (through 2001), documents, original literary works, and other materials appearing in more than 500 key social science and humanities journals published throughout the world.
HLAS Online Bibliography on Latin America, contains citations to journal and magazine articles, book reviews, documents and original literary works. Most references are either in Spanish or English.
Academic Search Premier Current articles on nearly every topic.
Proquest Current articles on nearly every topic.
OmniFile Current articles on nearly every topic.
Here are some of the key journals and news sources available at USF either in print or online. Use Journal Finder for detailed holdings information.
Comparative Political Studies
Development and Change
International Feminist Journal of Politics (not available at USF)
Inter Press Service
Journal of Democracy
Journal of Latin American Studies
Journal of Third World Studies
Latin American perspectives
Latin American politics and society
Latin American Research Review
NACLA report on the Americas
New Political Science
Political Science Quarterly
Women and Politics
Ignacio This is the catalog of books available at USF.
LinkPlus If there is a book you want that’s checked out or that the library doesn’t own, check to see if it’s available on Link+. Items requested via Link+ arrive in approximately 4 days.
Databases for Primary Sources: News Articles
Ethnic News Watch Limit to "Newspapers" to find news articles from ethnic, minority, and native press.
Newspaperindex.com Provides links to newspaper websites from around the world, arranged by country.
Proquest Limit to "Newspapers" to find current news articles on nearly every topic.
LexisNexis Academic Full-text documents from over 5,600 news, business, legal, medical, and reference publications.
To search for Latin American news, try the following strategy:
- Choose “Sources” link on side of page. Then choose "Browse Sources"
- Step 1: select "By Publication Type"
- Step 2: For “Filter by Country” select your country or region ("South America", "North America", or "Central America and Caribbean")
- Step 3: For “Publication Type” select “News" or "General News Sources"
- Open file folders and check the boxes of the publications you want to search.
- When you’re done selecting sources, click on the red "Ok-Continue" button.
To search for news from the Inter Press Service, follow these steps:
- Choose “Sources” link on side of page. Then choose "Find Sources"
- In "keyword" box type: Inter Press Service
- Click on blue "Find Sources" button
- Check the box for ""
- Click on the red "Ok-Continue" button.
Inter-American Development Bank
United Nations – UNdata
Proquest Statistical Insight
Statistical Agencies of Foreign Governments
Europa World Plus
EIU – Economic Intelligence Unit Problems accessing this database? You probably need to correct a security certificate mismatch:
- Internet Explorer Users: Go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced and uncheck "Warn about certificate address mismatch" near the end of the list. Click on "Apply". Close Internet Explorer, and then re-open it for this setting to take effect.
- Firefox Users: If you see an error message pop-up, it is likely a message about a security certificate mismatch. Click "Ok" to this error message. Sometimes you will get multiple error messages. Continue to click "Ok." Eventually you should get through to EIU.com
World Fact Book (CIA)
Background Notes (U.S. Department of State)
Country Profiles (Library of Congress)
Additional Primary Sources
Latin American Specific Sources