Department of Communication Studies
If you’re goal is to use your major in Design, Marketing, Computer Science, Communication Studies, History, English, Media Studies, Entrepreneurship (and others) to work in a communications business - an understanding of advertising will enhance your skills in your major of interest.
Five courses – 20 academic units -will provide you with a solid foundation in advertising built on your already increasing skills of critical thinking, reading, writing and speaking.
These courses support the “three pillars” on which advertising is built:
Foundations of advertising - principles, best practices, ethical issues and maximizing communication effectiveness.
Strategy and tactics of creating advertising messages.
Target analysis and placement of messages to reach specific audiences.
- COMS 341 (4) Advertising Principles & Practices
The “Foundation Course:” we advise you to take this one first, then the other four in whatever order is convenient.
- COMS 340 (4) Advertising Creative Strategy & Copy
- COMS 342 (4) Advertising Presentations*
- COMS 343 (4) Advertising Planning & Placement
- COMS 496 (4) Communication Internship*
* these may be taken a second time as an Elective.
Total: 20 units