RECENT FACULTY, ALUMNI, AND STUDENT ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
- Melyssa Perla (English, 2015) is currently writing for Seventeen Magazine's "Freshman 15" Blog.
- Vy Tran (2012) won the Eloquentia Perfecta award for the outstanding undergraduate essay appearing in the Writing for a Real World anthology. The WRW anthology publishes a select number of the best undergraduate writing at the University of San Francisco each year.
- Jiordan Castle (2013) had an essay accepted at the 2013 International Sigma Tau Delta Conference--the annual conference for the International English Honor Society. Jiordan's essay won 2nd place at the conference. She will be attending the Juniper Summer Writing Institute in July.
- Viola Lasmana (2004) earned an MA in English from San Francisco State University and just began her first year as a College Doctoral Fellow in the PhD program in English at the University of Southern California.
- Caitlin Roach (2010) is in her first semester of the MFA program in poetry at the Iowa Writer's Workshop.
- Shelley Lindgren (2001) is among the most respected and awarded sommeliers in the Bay Area. Recently, her two restaurants, A16 and SPQR both made Michael Bauer's Top 100 Restaurants List for 2012. Her new book SPQR: Modern Italian Food & Wine will be released in October 2012.
- Sormeh Yasaie (2012) will begin law school in the fall of 2013 at UC Berkeley's Bolt Law School. Sormeh was president of USF's Sigma Tau Delta chapter from 2011-2012.
- Chas Lacaillade (2003) went to graduate school at USC's Marshall School of Business and currently works at Fullscreen.
- Marguerite Saussotte (2004) teaches English at the Kobe Shukugawa Gakuin University in Kobe, Japan.
- Emilly Ballaine (2012) had a short story published in the excellent Fourteen Hills literary journal. (http://14hills.net/node/590)
- Vanessa Berger (2010) recently began a the masters program in medieval and renaissance studies at University College, London.
- Elizabeth (Hill) Nishimura (2004) is a social work extern for the office of Senator Harry Reid.
- Jacqulyn Whang (2010) is at the graduate school of education at Harvard.
- Rebecca Miller (2009) is Director of Marketing at Trinity
Ventures. She's also Vice President of Symphonix (the young professional
league of the Symphony) and a council members of the SF MoMA's Society
for the Encouragement of Contemporary Art (SECA).
- Jeremy Grace (2012) is in his first year of the MFA program for writers and artists at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst.
- TJ DiFrancesco (2010) recently began the PhD program in English at the University of Iowa.
- Erin Schietinger graduated with BA degrees in English and Philosophy in 2005 and a J.D. from USF's Law School in 2008. She was recently named TMPG Legal Council for Kaiser Permanente.
- Esther Zinn (2004) is Founder and Creative Director at @Spectrum Media in New York.
- Barton Creeth (2006) earned an MA in English from San Francisco State University and is in the PhD program at Yale Divinity School.
- Sarah Kahn will begin the MFA program in creative writing at the University of Montana in the fall of 2013.
- After earning degrees in both English and Japanese Studies at USF, Amanda Andonian (2008) completed a Masters Degree in East Asian Studies at Stanford. She is currently an Editor, Writer, and UX Designer at Business-Software.com.
- Andrew DeFrancis (2008) studied English and Media Studies at USF before going on to earn a J.D. from the University of Southern California School of Law. He recently became counsel for Motion Picture Productions at Walt Disney.
- Mary Abler (2004) recently completed her Masters Degree in Library and Information Science at San Jose University (2012) and currently works as the Outreach Manager at Friends of the San Francisco Public Library.
- Brian Mihok (2005) earned an MFA in creative writing from the University of Massachusetts Amherst and currently teaches writing at Medaille College.
- Tasmin Mocke (2011) recently began the MFA program at NYU.
- Hons Yung (2004) studied English and Legal Studies at USF before going on to earn a J.D. and an L.L.M at Golden Gate University. He is the Founder/Principal of his own Taxation law firm in San Francisco.
- Tona Stanley (2009) recently earned an MFA in creative writing from the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Alejandra Serret (2005) earned her MA in Journalism from NYU and written for Travel + Leisure, New York Cool, WorldPress.Org and other outlets.
- Alan Heineman, Professor, won the university's prestigious Sarlo Prize in 2012. The Sarlo Prize recognizing excellence in teaching based on the ethical values at the core of USF's identity.
- Susan Steinberg's third collection of fiction, Spectacle, was recently published by Grawolf Press. (https://www.graywolfpress.org/books/spectacle)
- Professor Tracy Seeley's book of creative nonfiction My Ruby Slippers (University of Nebraska Press, 2011) was named a Kansas Notable Book for 2012. She'll be featured at the Kansas Book Festival on September 15, where she will give a talk and receive a medal.
- Ryan Van Meter, Assistant Professor, was a finalist for a Lamba Award for his collection of essays If You Knew Then What I Know Now (Sarabande, 2011).
- Dean Rader's poem "Self Portrait as Dido to Aeneas" appears in the new Best American Poetry 2012.