Kia James, EdD, MPH, RN, CNL
Associate Professor; Chair, MPH Program
USF University-wide Curriculum Committee - Communication; Faculty
Development Committee - USF School of Nursing and Health
Honors and Award
Traineeship for Occupational Health Nursing Graduate Studies, NIOSH
(National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health); Master
Teacher Award, College of Education, The University of Texas,
Austin, TX; Nursing Honor Society Membership - Member at Large,
Sigma Theta Tau, St. Paul, Minnesota; Education Honors Award, Pi
Lambda Theta, St. Paul, Minnesota.
Clinical Areas of Expertise
Nursing leadership and development; community health nursing.
B.A., St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota
B.S.N., St. Olaf College Northfield, Minnesota
M.P.H., University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ed.D.,University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Neumann, J., Roslien, J., McKay, A., Twedell, D.,
Brady-Schluttner, K. & James, K. (2004). Centralizing an RN
preceptor program at the institutional level. Journal of
Nursing Staff Development 20(1), 17-26.
James, K. (2004). Building bridges: Creating a faculty
development program at a large medical center. Journal of
Continuing Education in Nursing 35(1), 24-26.
Faculty Spotlight - Dr. James has an eclectic background – a few highlights from her career:
- Generalist nursing practice background – focus on community health practice and leadership practice
- Worked with faculty to incorporate holistic nursing interventions into associate degree nursing curriculum
- Co-developed curriculum to teach beginning community health concepts to associate degree nursing students
- Developed a professional leadership development curriculum for W.K. Kellogg Grant for selected Minnesota State Colleges and Universities’ faculty and administrators
- Worked with “New Designs for Learning” change process for developing curriculum at the University of Minnesota
- Directed a W.K. Kellogg Grant for the creation and promotion of a leadership development program for faculty and administrators of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- Coordinated clinical placements of 15 different schools of nursing for the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Developed a unique faculty development program for affiliated nursing faculty at the Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Developed a graduate level nursing course entitled: Transformational Leadership across Transcultural Settings – content focused on complexity science and transformational leadership. Clinical practicum involved a cultural immersion experience (focusing on leadership and nursing) in a variety of European countries.