The 49 credit School Counseling program meets requirements recently issued by the California State Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) for those seeking a career in school counseling in K-12 schools.
Graduates of the program obtain a Master of Arts (M.A.) degree and are eligible for the Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential. They may be employed:
- in public or private educational settings,
- in community-based agencies,
- as consultants to schools, education
programs, and other institutions serving the educational needs of
They also may choose to pursue a doctoral degree.
The School Counseling program is a unique, innovative educational program for preparing counselors to address the social, emotional, and academic needs of children, adolescents, and young adults in educational settings.
The program emphasizes:
- multicultural youth development and counseling
- problem-solving, goal-oriented, counseling
- social justice orientation
- ecological systems in urban contexts
Students learn theories and effective, pragmatic interventions with youth in schools. The program has a social justice orientation which seeks to foster equity, respect for diversity, creativity, compassion and community empowerment.
The curriculum is designed sequentially (see Course Sequence).
- The first year focuses on counseling theory and practice, legal and ethical issues, child and adolescent development, multicultural counseling, research, group counseling, and prevention and intervention in schools.
- The second year focuses on problem-solving counseling strategies, learning and instruction, counseling students with exceptional needs, academic and career counseling, assessment and program evaluation, and consultation with parents, teachers, and schools.
A partnership of fieldwork and classroom learning forms the core of the program. Students begin their fieldwork in the schools during a first semester practicum class and complete the fieldwork requirements during three semesters of fieldwork classes. Each semester, the fieldwork class is conducted under the supervision of an experienced PPS credentialed instructor.